In October of 2017, the Board of Directors formally approved and adopted its most recent organizational strategic plan, formulated with input from the Board of Directors, committee leaders, journal editors, and staff. The plan serves as our roadmap and helps focus our efforts to ensure the organization’s relevancy in a rapidly-changing environment.
A. AAA will advance knowledge and its application in anatomical sciences through research and education.
- Broaden the awards portfolio to recognize and support a diverse range of awardees at all stages of their professional development.
- Expand involvement of international associations in the AAA regional and annual meetings to advance anatomical sciences research globally.
- Increase the profile of AAA’s journals.
- Create mechanisms to encourage members and awardees to publish in AAA journals.
B. AAA will promote lifelong professional development of a diverse membership within the association.
- Create leadership training for members with a mentoring component and metrics for success.
- Sustain a welcoming environment and act as champions and role models for engagement and career development of its members.
- Expand opportunities for members to showcase the role of anatomy in their specific disciplines.
C. AAA will lead in science communication.
- Design and implement science communication training programs focused on engaging members with the public, policy makers, other scientists, and clinicians.
- Identify and support champions of science communication and anatomy.
- Engage the public by popularizing anatomical sciences.
D. AAA will infuse diversity, inclusion, and equity into all aspects of its activities.
- Increase representation and engagement of individuals from diverse and underrepresented groups.
- Enact systems ensuring committee membership and actions that reflect the diversity and diverse perspectives of the AAA membership.
- Enact systems ensuring leaders and leaders’ actions that reflect the diversity and diverse perspectives of the AAA membership.
- Develop an awards portfolio that recognizes the full breadth of the AAA membership.
- Increase internal and external communications to emphasize the AAA commitment to, and value of, diversity and inclusion.
- Develop programs for outreach to potential members from underrepresented groups.
- Develop programs of engagement and career development for members from diverse and underrepresented groups.
E. AAA will strengthen the infrastructure and governance necessary to fulfill its strategic goals and mission.
- Identify and acquire the resources necessary for serving a growing and more diverse membership.
- Continually evaluate AAA’s governance for effectiveness and responsiveness to the needs of its members.
- Assess and cultivate relationships with other key groups.
Approved by the Board of Directors on October 28, 2017